Swirling in the Cosmos: Life, Spirit, & Body
Spiritual Wellness Can Create Balance in Your Life
Are you searching for deeper spiritual meaning in your life? Do you feel like there is something that is nagging at your mind but you just can put your finger on it? Are you restless but not really sure what it is that you want?
You’re not alone; the hectic demands of life in the 21st-century has made many people feel disconnected.
Perhaps what you need is a spiritual connection to bring about a sense of balance and completion in your life.
Many people confuse spirituality with religion and believe that spiritual wellness can only come from religious beliefs. However, spiritual balance comes from more than subscribing to a religion. Some people do seek religion for their spirituality, but spirituality can also be achieved without belonging to a specific religion. Religion in general is laid out for you. All the rules, the organized way of being, is set in religion. Whereas, spirituality is you discovering what you resonate with. What feels good for your beliefs and values. For most? There is a combination of religious doctrine and spiritual practices that bring the most joy.
How to Develop Spiritual Wellness
Essentially, developing spiritual wellness means working toward identifying what you believe in and how well those beliefs can give you inner strength through even the roughest patches in life. What do you feel about how the world is? How do you feel about Humanity? What can you do to be more helpful in this world?
I believe that there is a three-prong approach to living a healthy life. I share this on my podcast often. I strongly believe that we are here to be of service to others. I also believe that our bodies need good food and exercise. My third and most important belief is that this Universe is VAST and far more then we are told. So, I spend the majority of my time exploring what it means to be alive, what it means to be on this planet, and what views are already offered from some of the most informed minds. I have read the Torah, Quran, Old and New Testament, Various books on Wicca, Paganism, Occults, mysticism, and more.
Ultimately the goal is to find what feels right to you, what aligns with your beliefs, how much your personal happiness increases, and how it aligns with your lifestyle in a healthy way.
When you’ve developed spiritual wellness, you can:
· Respond to others honestly, regardless of the situation.
· Express the values that you uphold and stand behind them at all times.
· Understand the meaning of life and become in tune with the meaning of your existence.
· Lead a fulfilling life.
How do we achieve spiritual wellness? Each of us has to develop our spirituality in our own way. Your chosen path may take you on a different journey than another’s.
When you’re ready to begin your journey toward spiritual wellness, consider the following suggestions:
- Question the purpose of your existence. Ask yourself a few key questions as you go on a quest to achieve balance through spiritual wellness. Self-exploration is the key to developing your spiritual balance.
· What defines me?
· What is the purpose of my existence on the planet?
· What things, people, and ideologies am I currently committed to, and do I feel whole with this?
· What do I want out of life?
2. Connect to what’s meaningful. After you’ve answered those questions, your next mission is to connect to and identify with the things in life that you want to represent you. Do you believe in helping others? Is it your interest to sacrifice the physical aspects of life to gain spiritual strength? Are you happiest in nature or in a museum? Where are you happiest? In bed reading a book? Dancing? Singing? Doing Dishes?
See, this is far more about what makes you happy and it is a full life choice. Once you have figured out where you are happiest, you can build from there as to what beliefs and/or practices align with who you want to be.
Put the answers to the questions to work.
· Contribute to a charity if you’re inclined to help others.
· Go on a fasting mission to gain endurance and clarity of mind.
I can not stress to read! Watch Videos and listen to podcasts from different points of view. Contrast is where you find your personal best. If you can listen to what you normally wouldn't want to hear, you find what it is that you truly value. Do the same with the ideas that you DO resonate with. Spend a lot of time learning about what is out there. We have 2,300 religions in this world. And several more Practices. There is a lot to learn! And that too is a deeply spiritual journey.
3. Test your limits. When you take on challenges, you expand your understanding of a whole new myriad of possibilities for you. Testing your limits could involve many things.
· Take on a physical challenge that ordinarily you wouldn’t take on due to fear of failure, disappointment, or the challenge itself. I started running. I never realized that I would actually like my morning on the treadmill or running up a mountain slope.
· Make a decision based on your beliefs even though you know it may not be popular. I offer free 2-hour coaching to those in need. It is not a popular choice by a lot of business folks. I know it is the right choice for who I am and how I want to be in this world.
· Have the strength to stand by those convictions even if others reject them. There will be times that those closest to you will try to adjust your new beliefs to fit into their own. I know its hard to change and even harder when your support system doesn't seem to want to support your changes.
Becoming spiritually strong involves believing in something beyond your physical being.
It involves identifying your purpose and working towards achieving that purpose. Most importantly, it involves becoming truly happy with your life. I tell folks often that when I stopped giving a shit about material things, gossip, and what he said/she said was the best thing I have ever done. I felt as though the superficial world released me from chains of toxic connections. I felt as though I could and still do FLY!
I worry less about pleasing others and fitting into society boxes of who I should be, how I should, dress, what car I should drive, and if being over 40 means I can't wear this or that. I have no filter, and I still wear my ripped jeans. I love my plaid fleece shirts, and I have tattoos! Oh, my what a rebel uh?
In all seriousness, I know that my life is purpose-driven and that I am not only to LIVE my Life but to THRIVE in that living. Larger than that? My entire life is in service to others. So, I don't have time to dwell on the pettiness of others thinking. THAT'S the power you get from realizing that this life is FAR MORE then you have ever been told. The Cosmos is far more enriched and complex that one could imagine without delving into a spiritual journey.
Ultimately, the balance you seek will come when you satisfy your spiritual needs. By no means, this is an overnight, magic pill journey!!
By taking the steps outlined above, you can put yourself on the right path to spiritual fulfillment. The greatest part of the journey is uncovering the parts of you, you never knew existed and healing the parts that are tender. The inner and outer growth is amazing and frankly? I wish everyone made a huge effort at growing in such deep and meaningful ways!!
Achieving spiritual wellness isn’t an overnight process. With persistence and dedication, you’ll find yourself connecting with another aspect of your existence that you never realized. More and more things will become clearer to you and you’ll start to experience true inner peace, no matter what challenges you've faced! The doors open and the light comes in!
It is beautiful!!
WELCOME to the tribe!!
Until next time………..
Feel free to sign up for my blog posts too! https://medium.com/@rustiemacdonald
If you are interested in Donating to my podcast
or Write to me as I would love to hear from you:
Living & Thriving with Rustie
2828 S Mccall Rd
Englewood, FL 34224